The Stargazer and Novagazer Minecraft projects
The Stargazer minecraft project was established on November 6, 2012 and was set out to prove out my understanding of how to manage an
online minecraft server. The project currently has been up and running for over 7 years and features
several regular users in a close knit survival world. I eventually want to have the ability to spool up
minecraft servers on demand using docker and AWS on the cloud.
While Stargazer is the project name, it is also the name of the original minecraft server. Another server
is presently running that runs on a local Linux VM. That minecraft server is called NovaGazer.
I also want to have the servers remotely managed using tools created on this site.
The challenges of setting up the original Stargazer minecraft server involved
- Setting up and maintaining an internet domain name with a static IP
- Creating and maintaining a domain controller and associated infrastructure like a small business
would. This includes VM, file and sql servers, a web and email server, and the actual server
where the stargazer project would live.
- Setting up a mail server with mail accounts to handle various email notifications and alerts
- creating a facebook group as well as a discord channel that keeps customers updated on server status
- Writing maintenence code to check disk space and to back up the minecraft server
- Learning about (ubuntu) mint linux and creating a linux VM Minecraft server on local hardware.
The next level of development will occur on this page where management functions, FAQS, forums and picture galleries
will come together to represent what a special place the world we have made is all about.
The current minecraft servers:
StarGazer is a cooperative survival vanilla server that runs on a local Windows
server. It has been runninng the same world for over 5 years. It hosts a cast of regular players
from all over the world who get together to build wonderful things. A picture gallery and forum will
be added that will showcase our hard work.
The minecraft server NovaGazer is another survival vanilla server. This server runs on a local Linux VM
using the default port that
is open to the public.
The Stargazer project servers are vanilla cooperative survival servers. People work together to make a friendly, safe community for all.
People on the STARGAZER server got there by being invited by someone already on the STARGAZER server. It is a private server.
As a host, you are responsible for your new member. The misconduct of the new user might result in your own expulsion as well so choose carefully.
Your candidate should know how the server operates, and you must meet the new member at spawn point along with a founding member of the STARGAZER server.
If you have a candidate, they must apply to join the capital hill minecraft group.
Email with the request saying that you have a new member. include:
- facebook name (or link to facebook page)
- minecraft user name
- short reason why you think the candidate would be a good fit
- affirm that the user read the candidate reponsibilities below
- The candidate is responsible for their conduct. This is an all inclusive, respectable server that has been around for a long time.
The candidate should clean up and fill in and replace any destruction caused by MOBS (like creepers that blow up while you are building). If the creeper
has blown up on someone elses property, then you should contact someone if you need help in fixing the damage. You should try to avoid going into other people's
property at night, during rain or any other times where you might threaten a structure by your presence.
- No griefing/trolling or sabotage.
- LIGHTNING: If you are out in a lightning storm around the buildings of others, you should log off for awhile to avoid building damage
- The Chest of diamonds you found in someone elses room is not yours :) (and similar valuable items; please ask).